Education with Owen Taylor
At Owen Taylor & Sons we pride ourselves on our commitment to our colleagues, customers and community using the power of shared knowledge OT Education is an industry leading concept covering the three distinct groups and their interrelations. The philosophy is to ensure everybody continually benefits from shared information and that what is shared is current and purposeful.
Chef Knowledge Partnership
By maintaining accreditations, memberships, and links with significant industry organisations Owen Taylors ensures it is current with the latest trends and technology in the industry. We feel that it is important to support our customers
understanding of the food chain and the changing environment as this gives a direct advantage for their business as consumers become more discerning and want to know the source of their food and have it presented in an affordable and
We can offer:
- Farm to Plate Tours. These are offered bespoke to the customer’s specific interest and time availability and can range from farm and abattoir visits as well as an open invitation to tour the factory. Diverse customers from Michelin starred restaurants to university kitchens have found these visits exceptionally useful and helped them to promote the quality, welfare and safety of the products to their customers.
- Development Kitchen. Our staff have wide and profound knowledge that can assist chefs with their menu development utilising different cuts in butchery plus innovative ideas from our manufacturing and bakery departments.
- Industrial Links. It is important to keep up to date with changes and trends in the industry. With our commercial links we are able to share knowledge directly to chefs.
Staff are key to the success of a business. As the famous quote says “look after your staff and they will look after your customers”. To support staff development Owen Taylor’s has always offered a range of internal and external training to meet the individual needs and current standards.
We currently offer:
- Annual enrolment of apprenticeship / NVQ scheme for Meat and Poultry skills and Food Industry Skills
- Specific Apprenticeship schemes i.e. Maintenance Electrician
- Short external courses: Food Safety Level 3, HACCP, First Aid, Fire Marshall, IOSH Managing Safely
- Short internal courses: FLT, Food Safety Level
- Team Leading NVQs
David Nieper Academy Partnership
The David Nieper Academy is first Derbyshire school to be backed by local employers and Owen Taylor is proud to be one of the founding five employer partners. The aim of the school is to provide an education for 11-18 year olds to help them reach their full potential. We are proud to support the school by voluntarily donating time and resources to enrich the students’ time at the academy. With the launch of the new sixth form staff from Owen Taylor’s are able to offer year 10 food based workshops and support their world of work week.
Nottingham University Internships
Offering internships to students of Nottingham University has been found to be mutually beneficial. The intern gets hands on a specific area or project that strengthens their employability whilst injecting new and creative ideas back into the workplace.
Chesterfield College Students
Owen Taylor provides real work projects for Chesterfield College film and media students. By providing work based projects students are given a great insight into working in their chosen profession and find they get far more out of the project than an artificial classroom born project. We also get material that we are proud to use.